Seven months. I have been here in Vancouver for just over seven months. And it feels like I have been here forever, that this has always been my home. I don't really know why that is exactly, except that maybe I am just fantastically content on the western side of my country. I think it is because of the ocean. There is some thing so idyllic about an ocean, so tranquil and yet so powerful. Sitting on the beach and inhaling the scent of the salty water, hearing the cry of the seagulls, knowing there is a beautiful and secret world below the surface that you may only believe of it's existance in fleeting glimpses, your heart can't help but be restful. And you stare out at the horizon where the water and sky meet and you know that there is sweet escape for the soul, lands of peace and beauty and simplicity that can only be reached by boat. An adventure waiting to be experienced. A chance to know what human really is. No cars or concrete, daytimers or cell phones. No greed. And yet that enormous body of water also has the power to take your life. It can tug at your limbs, engulf you and make you weighty and push you to the very depths of that world hidden below the surface and take your life. Your first and last glimpse of the unknown. A tragic fairy tale. We depend on water for our very life, yet it can take a deadly powerful grasp it as quickly as it can bestow it. I love it. I want to always live by the ocean.
Monday, February 12, 2007
Alive by the ocean
Seven months. I have been here in Vancouver for just over seven months. And it feels like I have been here forever, that this has always been my home. I don't really know why that is exactly, except that maybe I am just fantastically content on the western side of my country. I think it is because of the ocean. There is some thing so idyllic about an ocean, so tranquil and yet so powerful. Sitting on the beach and inhaling the scent of the salty water, hearing the cry of the seagulls, knowing there is a beautiful and secret world below the surface that you may only believe of it's existance in fleeting glimpses, your heart can't help but be restful. And you stare out at the horizon where the water and sky meet and you know that there is sweet escape for the soul, lands of peace and beauty and simplicity that can only be reached by boat. An adventure waiting to be experienced. A chance to know what human really is. No cars or concrete, daytimers or cell phones. No greed. And yet that enormous body of water also has the power to take your life. It can tug at your limbs, engulf you and make you weighty and push you to the very depths of that world hidden below the surface and take your life. Your first and last glimpse of the unknown. A tragic fairy tale. We depend on water for our very life, yet it can take a deadly powerful grasp it as quickly as it can bestow it. I love it. I want to always live by the ocean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment