Saturday, March 29, 2008

Annie Kelly part 6

It is two days later. Both Annie's have been released from NY hospital and are in the care of Dr. Mary O'Brien of the. Chicago Catholic women's League. The girls are on their way to their respective homes in Chicago. We are on the doorstep of Annie Kelly's cousins. Dr. O'Brien rings the doorbell. Cousin Helena Garvey answers.

Helena:
Annie Kate! (she embraces her cousin).

Dr. O'Brien:
Hello Miss Garvey. I'm Dr. O'Brien of the Chicago Catholic Women's League.

Helena:
Helena. Pleased to meet you. Do come in.

Dr. O'Brien:
Just for a minute, thank you. We must be getting Miss McGowan to her relations as well.

Helena:
Of course! You must be Annie McGowan! My Mother and your Aunt Katherine are - were - they're great friends. I - I'm so sorry for your loss, Annie. I'm so sorry.

Mary Garvey has joined them and is ushering them into a sitting room.

Annie Kate:
Please, Mary, I'd like to lie down if I could.

Mary:
Of, course, love. I'll take you to your room.

Annie McGowan:
I'll come with you. I'd like to sat good bye to Annie Kate if I may.

Mary leads the two girls off stage. Helena gets a tray of tea and biscuits ready while they wait for Mary to return.


Mary:
The girls are saying good bye. They've been through a lot.

Dr. O'Brien:
Helena and Mary, I am afraid to tell you that your cousin is not well at all. She, and Annie, have suffered a great shock. None of us can know at all the horrors they have witnessed during the past week. Annie Kate particularly is a nervous wreck. She has been experiencing night terrors, and jumps at every sound and movement. Dr. Thomas O'Malley will be in to see her daily. I expect he will be by sometime this afternoon. He has been given her charts from New York and is well aware of her history. He is caring for many of the survivors of Titanic. It will be of utmost importance to follow his orders and keep Annie Kate rested and quiet.

Helena:
Of course! Whatever you or he tells us to do, we will. We want nothing more than for our cousin to get well. We've been in touch with her mother, our Aunt Ellen. Thank God we were able to give good news to her. Many of Castlebar's residents perished.




No comments: